Irresistible Free Dingbat Fonts | Part I

Irresistible Free Dingbat Fonts | Part I

March 26, 2011

Dingbat fonts likely have a long history in typesetting, a history in which I’d love to research in depth. When composing this post I briefly read the wikipedia entry which didn’t fully satisfy my curiosities in regards to the history of dingbats or “printer’s ornaments”. For part 2 of this post, we’ll see if I can dig up more information for the tale of the printer’s character. For now, have a look at these gorgeous dings.  I find them fascinating and irresistible.

Warning: If you go and download them all, I highly suggest using some sort of font manager, as a lot of these can be very graphics/processor intensive.  Nexus Font is what I use in windows, and it allows you to use font sets on a per need basis without installing them on your computer. If you run linux, you can run fonty python or create a  folder called .fonts in your home directory (use ctrl-H to show hidden dot files). You can switch them out on a per need basis this way manually by just renaming your working font folder to .fonts. Here’s a myfonts list by os.

Post Image Book Cover Texture by: Lost Thyme

Modified ACaslon Ornaments by: Perry Mason or Linotype?

AGA Arabesque Desktop Font by: Qomarudin

The Ikea Uniform Font by: Manfred Klein

KR Overly Cloverly

Now the Weather Font by: Manfred Klein

PrositBats by: Manfred Klein

Typography Tribute by: Intellecta Design

1. LostThyme March 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Cool blog post! I had to really restrain myself from downloading all of them.

2. starsunflowerstudio March 26, 2011 5:02 pm

Thanks so much! I really like the ornaments by Manfred Klein, as they remind me of the illustration styles from books I read as a young one in the 70's.

I'd like to use some of these ornament dings in digital scrapbooking projects.

3. Anonymous April 1, 2011 3:29 pm

WOW .. I'm a font piggy and all these are TERRIFIC! .. ty so very much!

4. Lauren September 26, 2011 10:41 pm

Aww ty for including my dings! It is an honor to be included with such greats.
      They other dingbats and their creators that you feature are very inspiring to me.

5. starsunflowerstudio September 27, 2011 4:43 pm

@Lauren You are inspiring to me! I don't know how you folks have the patience for font creation. I started playing around with fontforge the other day and felt a bit daunted, lol. 🙂 How does one find enough hours in the day?

6. suruha November 13, 2011 5:56 pm

Hiya, Toots! LOL I'm doing this week's challenge at Digital Whisper. I thought I'd show dingbat use in art. I would like to link to this page to show some wonderful examples. I hope you don't mind. There are literally thousands of articles on fonts, true. But, you do such an awesome showcase of topics, I just really value your information and your choices!

While our group is private, I would be tickled to share an invite link with you. I'll send it via e-mail.

Thank you, by the way, for sharing with me on Stumble! I have really enjoyed those links you've sent! I wish I were closer to that farm with the honey and wine! Sounds like you had fun! I love it!

Thanks, loads and a hug!

7. starsunflowerstudio November 13, 2011 7:08 pm

Oh thanks so much Sü! I will send you an email. I love stumbleupon, it has been so fun sharing back and forth with people. Thanks for thinking of me! 🙂

8. Anonymous July 5, 2012 8:23 am

Thanks so much. Have really enjoyed "thumbing" thru your collections. Enjoyed your taste in 'Bats', especially Manfred Klein's.