Google Reader is Going Away – There is Still Hope

Google Reader is Going Away – There is Still Hope

April 1, 2013

On March 13th, Google announced that they are retiring Google Reader. This is shocking and tragic news to millions of people who use Google Reader as their default web based feed organizer and subscription manager.  For those looking for an easy way to migrate their feeds, fear not!

According to the  Feedly Blog, feedly users will continue to see their google reader subscriptions from within Feedly:

“When you connect to Google, we create a feedly account automatically which maps to that Google Account. When Google Reader is retired in July 1st, you will be able to continue to login with you Google Account, the only [thing] different is that the content you will see in your feedly will be aggregate by a feedly server call Normandy.”

Vandelay Design blog has a super easy tutorial on How to Migrate from Google Reader to Feedly. Here’s a link to the chrome extension and firefox extension for feedly.

1. Shuckclod April 2, 2013 5:28 am

http://www.bloglovin.com has a reader and all your follower and ones you follow can be viewed on it. They have buttons to put on your blog.

2. Susan Smith April 2, 2013 9:44 am

@Shucklod – do they have any way to migrate from google to bloglovin? I have well over 100 feeds, maybe even closer to 200. Thanks!

3. suruha April 4, 2013 12:13 am

Su, Feedly was so easy, I thought I had made an error. LOL I registered and they did the rest.

I checked over at BlogLovin about migrating Google feeds and this is what it says:

"How do I import blogs from Bloglines, Google Reader etc?
      You can import blogs to Bloglovin' with an OPML file.
      If you do not already have an OPML file you can get one by contacting your current blog reading tool.
      When you have an OPML files containing all of your favorite blogs, you can import them to Bloglovin' here."

That was on their support page, one of them. LOL

I'm gonna try Feedly for a while and see how it goes.

Take care!

4. Susan Smith April 4, 2013 12:31 am

Thanks for the input Su!! If I am remembering correctly, google discontinued the OPML format and now only gives one the option to export as XML format. I'm not positive about that though. Now I'm going to have to try it and see!!

5. ArtChick April 4, 2013 4:15 pm

Blog Lovin does sync with a simple click with your Blogger/Google Reader feeds. I am using Feedly and Blog Lovin at the moment, to try them both. I like Blog Lovin much better. And it was as easy as clicking to get it synced with GR. You don't have to export your blog and then import it–it's just a matter of clicking. I follow a couple hundred blogs and I was using Blog Lovin in less than a minute. Super easy. And they have "Follow Me" buttons you can add to your blog so that your followers can follow you there too.

6. Susan Smith April 4, 2013 5:12 pm

Oh cool! THanks @ArtChick. Now I definitely have to try it. I have a bloglovin profile but haven't spent a ton of time there. Migration sounds easy! Thanks.

7. Little Birdie Blessings April 13, 2013 3:02 am

Su, I just started using bloglovin' and I'm "lovin" it. I haven't put a link on my blog yet, but will do that. You can actually add websites to it as well, doesn't have to be a blog. ~ Abby